Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Sewing 101

After several futile attempts at finding Libby some summer shorts at resale shops and because I am feeling thrifty, I have decided to sew her some myself. Wal-Mart and Target wanted $3.50 and $4.00 respectively for their solid and print shorts and because she needs several pairs, I opted out of spending so much money. A friend has blessed Libby with many hand-me-down shirts in awesome condition, but no bottoms to match them so she has been unable to wear some of them because she has no shorts to match. She has a few pairs of blue jean shorts and a few pairs of capris but no comfy, cotton, play shorts. I purchased a pattern from Wal-Mart and then went through my scrap fabric pieces and raided my mom's bins as well. I spent 2 1/2 hours today cutting out seven pairs of shorts. Libby helped by handing me the pins as I needed them. I showed her that they poked so she was very careful as she gave them to me. The navy and white checked fabric was from an old pair of capris my mom had outgrown that she kept back for such a project as this. She never lets anything go to waste. So, seven pairs of shorts technically will not cost me anything other than the elastic. Pretty cheap if you ask me. I still need to purchase other solid fabric as some of her shirts have prints on them and it would definitely be a no-no to put a printed shirt with printed shorts...I just couldn't do that:) Once I get the hang of making the first pair, I should be able to whip out a pair in less than an hour. It's been a while since I have sewn anything and even that was curtains and throw pillows and an easy-step-one-hour-skirt-with-elastic for me. My mom is overseeing my endeavor on the first pair to make sure I am doing it right, but after that I should be able to sew them on my own. I need to start learning to make more things besides pillows and curtains. I would love to pass on sewing skills to Libby. My mom is a great seamstress but I just wasn't interested growing up and I regret that. I would be so far ahead if I had learned when she wanted to teach me as a child. It's never too late to start though. I am excited about it and I know I will feel a great sense of accomplishment. I will post pictures when I am finished.


0 comments: