Monday, February 22, 2010

Homemade Baby Food

This was my second time around since Judah has been on solids to make his baby food. The cost of jar baby food just gripes me and I cringe every time I have to buy some. We do keep some on hand for when we go out, but at home he eats the homemade. This particular round I did green beans, peas, and carrots, all frozen. When I make squash and sweet potatoes, I use fresh. I didn't have time this particular day to all of the veggies. I can't afford to buy all organic veggies so I buy what I can afford and wash the fresh veggies with my hydrogen peroxide veggie wash.



I started out with three pans and cooked the veggies until done. I strained them and then put them into a blender. You don't have to have a baby food maker to make homemade baby food. A regular blender does fine. Puree until smooth. The thicker veggies, such as sweet potatoes and peas, will require you to add a little water. Add a little at a time though until blending smoothly.

v

When finished with that step, pour into ice cube trays and freeze. When completely frozen pop out and put into ziplock bags, label, and store in the freezer.



*Tips*- Let the frozen trays sit for at least 10 minutes before you pop out the veggies or you will break them, especially if using cheaper trays. I have found the Rubbermaid ones work the best. They are expensive, especially if you buy in bulk so look for them used at second hand shops. I usually use 8-10 at a time.



I steam the squash to prevent it from being too squishy. I never microwave any of the veggies. Microwave cooking is not healthy and will radiate the food. It doesn't take that much time to stove top cook.



When your baby hits 8-9 months and can handle thicker textures, simply puree the food you prepared for supper for your family, minus the spices for heat reasons.



Four cubes is equal to one- 4 oz. jar. For lunch and supper I will set out four cubes before breakfast to ensure thawing. If I forget, I simply take them out of the freezer when I do remember and put them into a glass container to warm in our toaster oven. Like I said, I never warm his food in the microwave unless I'm in a pinch.



For his fruits at home, he eats fresh bananas or apple sauce. I buy the unsweetened jar applesauce and will add fresh pureed blueberries if they are on sale. When apples or pears are on sale, feel free to make your own applesauce or pearsauce.














1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great idea, thanks for the detailed post. We are currently trying to get pregnant and I was doing research on homemade food vs the jar stuff for money/health reasons. I am going to use your ice cube idea, thanks :)