Thursday, February 11, 2010

Mother's Version of 1 Corinthians 13

I can read bedtime stories till the cow jumps over the moon and sing, "Ten Little Monkeys" until I want to call the doctor-but if I don't have love I'm as annoying as a ringing phone.

I can chase a naked toddler through the house while cooking dinner and checking my voicemail. I can fix the best cookies and Kool-aide in the neighborhood and I can tell a sick child's temperature by the touch of my finger-but if I don't have love I am nothing.

Love is patient while watching and praying by the front window when it's thirty minutes past curfew.

Love is kind when my teen says, "I hate you!"

Love does not envy my neighbors' swimming pool or their brand new mini van, but trusts the Lord to provide every need.

Love does not brag when other parents share their disappointments or insecurities, but rejoices when other families succeed.

Love doesn't boast when I've multi-tasked all day long and my husband can't do more than one thing at a time.

Love is not rude when my spouse innocently asks, "What have you done today?"

Love does not immediately seek after glory when we see talent in our children, but encourages them to get training and make wise choices.

Love is not easily angered when my 15 year old acts like the world revolves around her.

Love does not delight in evil (is not self-righteous) when I remind my 17 year old that he's going 80 in a 55 mph speed zone, but rejoices in the truth.

Love does not give up hope when I have been praying for the salvation of one of my children.

Love always protects our children's self-esteem and spirit even while doling out discipline.

-Nancy Campbell-
http://www.aboverubies.org