Saturday, June 7, 2008

Meditations


"Lord, you have assigned me my portion and my cup; you have made my lot secure." Psalm 16:5


I started reading Calm my Anxious Heart by Linda Dillow since I have been in the hospital. I actually have some time to read so I have been meditating on this particular passage she quotes in the book. I would like to include her commentarty she makes on this verse. It convicted my heart and helped to renew my focus. It does get off from time to time, so I have to regroup and get my eyes back on the Lord.


"God has lovingly assigned each of us to be a uniquely special teacup. Perhaps we're an antique cup, painted with dainty roses set in gold. Maybe we see ourselves as an everyday cup-useful, but a little chipped around the edges. Or we could be a heavy duty mug-rugged, unbreakable, and able to hold much. (Not me at the moment).


Then God fills our cup with our portion, what He determines best. Our portion is our physical and emotional being, our abilities, circumstances, roles, and relationships.


Sometimes we don't like what's been poured into our cup. Remember the Lord Jesus in Gethsemane? When He saw the suffering He was about to endure, He pleaded, "Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me (I have prayed that too!); yet not my will, but yours be done." Christ grasped the handle of His cup and lifted it to God and said, "I accept my portion. Infuse me with Your strength that I may drink."


Every cup-whether dainty china or rough-hewn pottery-has a handle. God has placed our portion in our cup. We either choose to grasp it by the handle and lift it to Him saying, "I accept my portion; I accept this cup," or we choose to smash our cup to pieces, saying, "God, I refuse my portion. This cup is not the right size for me and I don't like what You've put into it. I'll control my life myself."


Wow, what an eye-opener for me. Hope this encourages your heart today. With God's help I want to be here, accepting my lot and my portion and in the words of J.I. Packer, "Contentment is essentially a matter of accepting from God's hand what He sends because we know that He is good and therefor it is good."


Read this book...it will bless you, but unless you want to be under heavy conviction, don't read!

1 comments:

Natasha said...

Hey, Jennifer...I was so happy to hear how well, Libby is doing! God is so great!....love ya!

Tasha