Wednesday, August 27, 2008

4 Steps to Discovering God's Will

" I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will guide you with my eye."Psalm 32:8

Bro. Mike preached this sermon almost a year ago and as I was pulling my notes on this one out of my Bible the other day, I got to reading them again and wanted to share them with you. Sounds so simple, but if you're like me and feel like you lack discernment in this area, I pray that the Lord will give us that wisdom and discernment to know His plan for us and the courage to walk out what He shows us.

1. Depend on your relationship with God
John 8:47-"He who belongs to God hears what God says. The reason you do not hear is that you do not belong to God."

2. Tune into God's way of thinking
Isaiah 55:8-9- "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the Lord. As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts."

Romans 12:1-2-"And so, dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to give your bodies to God. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice-the kind He will accept. When you think of what He has done for you is this too much to ask? Don't copy the customs and behaviors of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will know what God wants you to do and you will know how good and pleasing and perfect His will really is." (NLT)
Presentation+Transformation=Revelation
A yielded life+A reprogrammed mind=Revelation

3. Gather Information

  • a. From the Bible-"Your Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105
  • b. In Prayer-"If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask of God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him." James 1:5
  • c. By seeking advice-"Listen to advice and accept instruction, and in the end you will be wise." Proverbs 19:20
  • d. By listening to your heart-"Delight (or saturate or yield) yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the Lord; trust in Him and He will do this." Psalm 37:4-5
  • e. By examining the circumstances-"Now when they had gone to Phrygia and the region of Galatia, they were forbidden by the Holy Spirit to preach the Word in Asia. After they had come to Mysia, they tried to go into Bithynia, but the Spirit did not permit them. So passing by Mysia, they came down to Troas. And a vision appeared to Paul in the night. A man of Macedonia stood and pleaded with him, saying, "Come over to Macedonia and help us." Now after he had seen the vision, immediately we sought to go to Macedonia concluding that the Lord had called us to preach the gospel to them." Acts 16:6-10

The way will be open if the Holy Spirit is leading. If not the door will be closed

4. Take a step in the direction you think God is leading.

"Then the Lord said to Moses, "Why are crying out to me? Tell the Israelites to move on." Exodus 14:15

If you drive in the light you've been given you will get there.

Be faithful to do what you know God's will is (the black and white issues from God's Word) and then He will show you clarity in other areas that aren't specific in Scripture.

0 comments: