Monday, February 23, 2009

The "What Ifs of Love" Part 2

There are a lot of ways that we can disrespect or dishonor our husbands so this is by no means an exhaustive list. Some are ideas that Gail had listed and other's are my own ideas. Some are thought provoking questions to ask yourself to see where your heart lies. It is truly my heart's desire to honor Him and him. I know I fail every day, but I am asking the Lord to show me very specific ways that I am not showing respect the instant that I do it and then helping me to confess and make things right by apologizing and yielding to Joey and ultimately to the Lord.

1. Is your focus in your marriage on what you need or want?

2. How often do you think about what your husband needs or wants?

3. How much time do you spend wishing your husband would change?

4. Do you interrupt, talk for, or correct your husband in conversation either alone or in front of others?

5. Do you usually believe you are right when you and your husband are discussing problems and solutions?

6. When was the last time you asked your husband how you could bless him?

7. When was the last time you asked your husband if there's anything he'd like for you to change?

8. How much time in a day do you spend praying for your husband?

9. Do you thank God for giving you a husband?

10. When was the last time you thanked your husband for something he is or does?

11. When was the last time you complimented your husband in front of others?

12. How do you talk about your husband to your children? To your relatives? To your friends?

13. How much time in a day do you spend nagging your husband? If you ask more than once, it's nagging.

14. How do you speak to your husband in private, in front of others or in front of your children? Is your tone one of sweetness, kindness, and gentleness?

15. Do you belittle him by teasing him, making fun of him, or mocking him about areas he is sensitive about?

16. Do you succumb to his ideas more than you do your own?

17. Do you seek ways you need to change yourself or is your focus more on changing your husband?

18. Do you teach your children to honor, respect, and submit to Daddy? They will learn by watching you.

19. Who can you change?

20. Who are you ultimately serving?

Ultimately we can only change ourselves and we serve the Lord Jesus. By honoring and respecting our husbands, we in turn honor and respect the Lord and the opposite is also true. I would by lying if I told you I get an A+ for doing all of these right all the time, but my heart desires to improve. I hope yours does the same.

I will post next time on specific way we can show respect. If you have any ideas as well, feel free to share them. I know I can always use new ideas.

1 comments:

Wendy said...

The hardest time for me to remember to respect Shane is when he does something in public that I feel the need to justify, explain, apologize for or correct. I struggled terribly when we started the PRC. We'd be in board meetings and I'd disagree with him or think he was not getting the point of the others...it was very hard and I didn't keep my mouth shut at first. I had to be corrected by a Titus 2 woman before I even knew it was happening. It's still a challenge for me, but after years of practice, I sometimes get it right, lol :)