Monday, February 16, 2009

The "What Ifs of Love" Part 1

I don't even know where to start in sharing ALL the abundant Truths I learned at the Valentine's fellowship/Bible Study I mentioned earlier. I will be making this a 3-4 part series so I don't cram so much into one post. So hang on and may the Lord continue to reveal His heart to us regarding our husbands and our marriages.

"Nevertheless, let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself; and the wife see that she reverence her husband." Ephesians 5:33

A poll was taken and 100 men were asked. "Would you rather be alone and unloved or inadequate and disrespected?" Now both are hard answers but what do you think 98 men said? They would rather live in a world where they are alone and unloved rather than be disrespected.

Men desire respect just as women desire to be loved. It's the way God created it to be. Should men have to earn our respect? Think about it before you answer. Do we think we should have to earn our husbnds love? You would say, "No, they should just love me for who I am." So why do we make our husbands earn our respect? God's Word says to respects our husbands. There is no reference to if they do this or that then we should respect them. Just respect. How do you respect an abusive husband? An alcoholic husband? A husband that won't provide for his family? Respect doesn't mean condoning bad behavior, making excuses for sin, or overlooking offenses, rather it's an attitude of the heart. Is it easier to respect a husband who is a godly examply, a wonderful father, a romantic husband? Sure it is. I have one such husband and he makes it easy for me to respect, honor, and submit to him. But what if he was a different man? I can tell you my flesh wouldn't want to honor, submit, or reverance any other such person, but God's Word makes it clear that I am supposed to. I would pray to the Lord for a changed heart and a right spirit.

Can I tell you that even though Joey is a godly husband, a wonderful father, and a committed follower of the Lord Jesus, I still have trouble respecting him at times. Sometimes my mouth gets in the way of right actions and before long the Lord shows me how I have disrespected him through my words and my actions.

What are some ways that we can disrespect our husbands?

I will write next time on specific ways we disrespect and dishonor the men God brought into our lives. Let's ask God until then to show us very specific ways we have dishonored our own husbands. Confess, repent, ask for forgiveness from them and the Lord.

Until next time.

0 comments: