I wanted to share with my handful of readers my Memaw's roll recipe. It's one of the best I have ever used and so quick too. I am making them tonight to go with our supper so next time you're in the mood for super tasty, super quick homemade rolls, try this recipe.
- You're water and buttermilk need to be warm. Cold water won't activate your yeast and hot water will kill it. Temperature in very important when working with yeast.
- You can use milk instead of buttermilk, but I prefer buttermilk.
- You can use honey instead of the sugar.
- You can use any whole grain flour you like instead of the white flour. I use unbleached white flour or another grain depending on my time since I freshly grind my own grain.
- I half the recipe sometimes for our family (I got 10 rolls halving it). Larger families will need the whole recipe. For smaller families, you can also cook half and then quick freeze the other half for a later use. (To quick freeze, go ahead and cut them out with a biscuit cutter, place uncooked on a cookie sheet and place in freezer until completely frozen and then remove and place in a freezer bag. Take out as many as you need. Thaw and then bake.)
New York and Co. (the store in the mall; at least the one here in our mall) is having an awesome store wide sale. 70% off the ENTIRE store. That also includes shoes and jewelry. We are going tomorrow to get some much needed clothing and at that price who can beat it? My friend went last week and the most she paid for anything was $12 for a pair of jeans. The sale will go through this weekend.Joey and I have been burdened about the Cap and Trade Bill and the Health care Bill Obama is trying to pass. The C&B will raise everyone's electric bill $3000 annually and I don't have to explain the ramifications of the Health care Bill. If you know anything about socialized medicine, then you know this is not the way to go. We're going down a slippery slope is where we're going. Pray against these bills that they won't pass. If it's the Lord's will, then God help us to be ready.