Friday, September 4, 2009

I am a carnivore again

*Note: I have edited this post three times and blogger won't let me insert spaces below the wraps recipe so excuse the messiness of it all. Hope you can decipher.

Yay, I can have meat and brown rice as of yesterday. Honestly, I crave dairy more than I do meat, but it was a welcome change.

I cooked a chicken breast to have on my salad for lunch.

My friend Jennifer shared the following recipe with me and I made them tonight for supper along with herbed rice and steamed carrots. I got rave reviews from my man and will make them again. They tasted soooo good after 10 years, I mean 10 days without anything but fruits and veggies.


Lettuce Wraps
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts cubed
3 cloves of chopped fresh garlic
1/2 c. chopped onion
chopped mushrooms
chopped water chestnuts
Olive oil
Romain lettuce leaves
Saute onion and garlic in olive oil. Add chicken, water chestnuts, and mushrooms until done. Top with course ground black pepper and sea salt.
Pour individual servings of chicken into the lettuce leaves and top with the following sauce:
Olive oil/grapeseed oil
Apple cider vinegar
Maple Syrup
Red Pepper Flakes
Salt to taste
I didn't measure anything, but just guessed on the amount to serve my family. I added approx. 3 Tbsp. of the vinegar, 2/3 c. of the oil, 1/4 c. of maple syrup and the flakes and salt to taste. Taste and then add in whatever you need. This made enough for our meal with a lot left over. The good thing is you can use the leftover sauce as a salad dressing.
Roll the wrap up like a taco and enjoy!!! They were fabuloso and healthy too!!
Note: I omitted the chestnuts and the shrooms. I like shrooms but Joey doesn't. They were still good without them. Three chicken breasts were enough for Joey and I to have two wraps each so adjust the amount depending on the size of your family.
I had two and could have eaten more, but didn't want to be a glutton, LOL
Try these and let me know what you think!!