Sunday, April 19, 2009

Bread and Tortilla Recipe

OK Tarrah, here are the recipes you requested. I thought I would post them on here for everyone to have:) Enjoy!!

Side note-I have a Bosch Universal Mixer which mixes up 5 loaves of bread at a time. I also grind my grain fresh but you can buy it already ground or use white flour. Whatever floats your boat:)

Tortillas
3 c. pastry flour (you can use reg. wheat or white flour as well)
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. salt
1/3 c. oil
1 1/4 c. very hot water
flour for rolling out

Sift flour and dry ingredients together. Mix oil and water and add to flour mixture and stir. Roll out and knead until smooth. Divide dough into 18 pieces roughly (depends on how small or big you want them) and shape into balls. Let rest for 15 minutes covered. Dredge the balls into flour, flatten with palm of your hand and dredge in flour again. Roll out using a rolling pin until pretty thin. Heat a pan or griddle over med-high heat. Heat until it bubbles and cook other side.
*I have a tortilla press/cooker which does it all for me but I have done it this way...just takes a little longer*

Homemade Bread
*This recipe will make 5 loaves at a time so just divide it down for how many you want to make*
6 c. flour
6 c. warm water
2 TBSP yeast
2 TBSP gluten or dough enhancer

Mix and let it sit for ten minutes

Then add 1 c. honey, 1 c. oil, 1 1/2 TBSP salt and 7-8 c. flour (amount varies)

Mix together and knead for 7-8 minutes. You know you have added enough flour when the dough pulls away from the bowl. Take out and let rise in loaf pans until doubled in size. Bake at 325 degrees until brown on top.

*I use freshly ground wheat. I also made 7-grain bread last week and it is now Joey's favorite. You can also do plain white.*

We love homemade tortillas. I can't tell you the last time I bought any. They freeze well too so if you have leftovers freeze them for a later date. I also freeze the bread. When thawed, it tastes just as fresh as the day you baked it.

If you have any questions let me know.

Happy Baking!!

2 comments:

THZ said...

Thank you so much for posting!! I am totally going to try these ASAP!! What size loaf pan do you use?

The Tarr Family said...

Ok, I am so glad to see the tortilla recipe. I am trying out new tortilla recipes and I just don't have the right one yet. So, I will try this one too. Also, what kind of tortilla maker do you have. We want to possible bring one back to Vietnam with us and I need recomendations. Thanks so much for posting recipes. I left all my cookbooks back in the states. :) Not so smart...